Leaves of Absence
Students enrolled in the UNC Eshelman School of Pharmacy who are approved to take a leave of absence may return to the School within one year of the date of leave. All leaves must be approved by the Office of Curricular & Student Affairs. There are two types of leave:
- Medical Leave of Absence: This type of leave is first initiated in the Office of Curricular and Student Affairs and then transitions to UNC Campus Health and/or UNC Counseling and Psychological Services. A medical leave can be initiated at any point during a semester for both physical and mental health concerns that are acutely impacting the student’s ability to successfully continue within the program. The leave is officially considered and approved by UNC Campus Health and/or UNC Counseling and Psychological Services.
- Administrative Leave of Absence: This type of leave is initiated and managed within the Office of Curricular and Student Affairs. An administrative leave can only be initiated between academic semesters – not while classes are actively in session. An administrative leave serves a broad range of purposes such as a personal hardship.
Leave of Absence Process
- Students desiring to take a leave of absence should schedule a meeting with the Assistant Director of OCSA (Professional Program) to discuss the leave of absence. This meeting will determine the next steps.
- If desiring a Medical Leave of Absence, the student will be directed to Campus Health to proceed with the Leave of Absence
- If desiring an Administrative Leave of Absence, the ESOP Registrar will facilitate the Leave of Absence.
- Upon the desire to return to the PharmD program, the student should schedule a meeting with the Assistant Dean of Students regarding the readmission process.
- If the Leave of Absence was a Medical Leave of Absence, then the student must work with Campus Health to facilitate returning to the PharmD program.
- If the Leave of Absence was 12 months or less, then the student will complete the PharmD Return from Leave of Absence Form.
- If the Leave of Absence was greater than 12 months, then the student must reapply for admission to the School and must compete for readmission with the other applicants for the entering class in that year.
- In situations involving medical leave, it is possible to extend the one year leave on a case by case basis.
- For all students returning from Leave of Absence, the Scholastic Achievement and Progression Committee will review completed coursework and make recommendations for completing the program. Students may be required to re-take some or all of previously completed coursework in the School of Pharmacy or complete competency testing.