Applicability to Applicants and Students
- Applicants to the Program will be notified of the criminal history check requirement as a part of the admissions process.
- All offers of admission to the Program will be contingent upon the results of the criminal history check.
- When applicants are offered admission to the UNC Eshelman School of Pharmacy and notify the School that they intend to enroll in the Program, they will receive an email from the Program’s third party screening organization. The email will be sent to the address that the applicant specified in his or her PharmCAS application. The message will contain a link to an online form that the applicant will use to provide basic identifying information and consent for the criminal history check to be completed.
- When the criminal history check has been completed, the applicant will receive an email requesting that he or she review the report. The applicant will have ten calendar days to review the report and dispute its accuracy before it is made available to the UNC Eshelman School of Pharmacy. If the applicant does not review the report within the specified ten days, it will be distributed to the School after the ten calendar days has elapsed.
- Fees for the individual background checks are included in the PharmCAS application. This fee is nonrefundable.
- Students should consult with the PharmCAS Web site (www.pharmcas.org) for more details about the criminal history check procedures.
Enrolled Program Students
- Some pharmacy practice sites may also require additional or alternate background screening in order to meet a specific timeline and/or satisfy state or federal laws. As a result of this, affected students (PY4/advanced immersion as well as rising PY2 and PY3 immersion) may be required to complete further checks as part of their immersion compliance.
- Students that take a semester or longer leave of absence from the Program for any reason must submit to a new criminal history check before they can return to the Program.
- Fees for the background checks must be remitted by the student directly to the agency performing the screening. This fee is nonrefundable.
- Students are required to provide practice experience sites with a copy of their criminal history check results upon request by the practice site.
If at any point during enrollment a student is charged with or convicted of any criminal act that may or not have been on a previous criminal background check, that student should contact the director of curricular & student affairs immediately to self disclose. Failure to self-disclose could lead to an honor court violation as well as referral to the Progressions Committee.