Blood-Borne Pathogen Exposure
In the event of an exposure event, immediate action is required as outlined at https://campushealth.unc.edu/urgent-needs/health-science-students-blood-borne-pathogen-exposure. In brief, The following steps should be taken promptly:
- Immediately clean the affected area.
- Immediately notify the preceptor or preceptor designee.
- Obtain source patient information.
- Call Campus Health Services at 919-966-6573. If the exposure occurred at a clinical site outside of Chapel Hill, still call Campus Health Services and follow the instructions provided. Note: You will be connected to medical personnel that can assist you with the blood borne pathogen exposure. If Campus Health Services is closed, you will be connected to an automated message which will then transfer you to a Health Link nurse. The Health Link nurse will contact the Campus Health Services physician on call for you.
- The preceptor or student pharmacist should notify the Office of Curricular and Student Affairs by calling the Eshelman Care Line at 919-813-0481 as soon as possible.
The preceptor should detail the event via email to Abbey Kruse, Assistant Director of Curricular and Student Affairs, Experiential programs (email@example.com) after the exposure incident.