Students are expected to attend and participate fully in all scheduled activities at the practice site. Students are expected to arrive on time and remain at the site until all required activities have been completed or their preceptor dismisses them.
Preceptors acknowledge that extenuating circumstances occasionally occur that prevent attendance during the experience. At the discretion of the primary preceptor of record, students are allowed to have a maximum of 2 excused absence(s). Excused absences do not have to be made up unless the preceptor determines that the learning outcomes of the experience cannot be met.
During the months of December and February, Advanced Immersion Experience students (e.g. fourth professional year students) are allowed to have a maximum of 5 excused absence(s). The work from 3 of these absences must be made up. The primary preceptor of record will determine what work will need to be completed.
If the anticipated number of absences exceeds the maximum days outlined in this policy, an Absence Request Form must be submitted by the student to the School Experience Director. The School Experience Director will work with the assigned primary preceptor of record to determine what work will need to be completed.
An absence is excused only under the following circumstances:
- Medical necessity. Documentation of the medical necessity (i.e. physician note, campus health note, emergency room/hospitalization discharge summary) will be required to be considered an excused absence. Routine medical or dental visits do not meet this criterion.
- Death of an immediate family member or friend.
- Participation in a pre-approved professional activity (i.e. School activities; local, state, or national pharmacy meetings). The student must notify his/her primary preceptor of record at least 1 month prior to the start of the experience. Documentation (i.e. meeting badge, program) will be required to be considered an excused absence. Work as an employee does NOT constitute participation in an approved professional activity.
- Religious activity. The School follows the University’s policy on excused absences for religious reasons (More information on the policy can be found within the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill Academic Catalog.
- Other extenuating circumstances. The primary preceptor of record may approve an excused absence for other reasons. Documentation may be required. When possible, such requests should be made in writing at least 1 month prior to the start of the experience.
If circumstances prevent the student from providing prior notification, the student or his/her designate should contact the primary preceptor of record by phone first thing in the morning of the absence. Messages should include the student’s name, a brief summary of the reason for absence, and anticipated date of return. An Absence Request Form should be submitted by the student to the School Experience Director if the maximum number of days outlined in this policy will be exceeded. Any unexcused absence during the course of an experience will result in a grade of failure.