Student Professional Travel Stipend
Annually, the UNC Eshelman School of Pharmacy Foundation appropriates funding to support student travel to regional and national professional meetings. Attendance at these meetings provides opportunities for personal, career, and professional development of PharmD students. As could be expected, the demand for these travel stipends outpaces the supply of funds. As such, the Office of Curricular and Student Affairs has established an updated framework for administering PharmD student travel stipends. This new framework is an application, tier-based approach that aims to:
- Help PharmD students thoughtfully and proactively plan professional travel
- Provide clarity and accountability for how student travel stipends are awarded
- Provide enhanced funding opportunities for students engaged at a national level
- Help the School become efficient stewards of Foundation-sponsored funding
Each funding year, regardless of tier, runs July 1 through June 30. All funding applications must be submitted via the established application window but no fewer than 10 business days before the travel.
Students may apply for tier 1 funding (enhanced travel priority @ $400) from July 15-March 1 of a given academic year. If at that point, there is a surplus of tier 1 funding, it will be re-distributed to tier 2 and students who had previously traveled without funding as they will be allowed to re-apply for reimbursement. Tier 1 funding approval will require official documentation of the national level engagement. Tier 1 funding is considered for:
- Students who represent the School as a competition winner at a national conference
- Students who represent the School as a session presenter at a national conference (peer reviewed abstract)
- Students who represent the School as an elected office to a national leadership position.
Students will be allowed to apply for tier 2 funding (general travel priority @ $200) in the fall and spring (pending funding) of each year during the application windows. Notification of funding decisions during the primary application window will be sent by October 1. A second round of applications will be made available in the spring of each year pending the availability of funds. Applications must be submitted at least 10 business days before the planned travel and during the established application window – all other applications will not be considered. Likewise travel reimbursement requests and all required documentation must be submitted within 10 days of completion of the conference (or notification of funding) or the funding request will be re-allocated. If student applications outpace available funding then priority will be determined by:
- Students with a poster presentation at a national conference
- Students appointed to a national committee
- PY class standing
- Students serving as an elected or appointed leader in a recognized student organization.
- Student serving as a committee member within a recognized student organization
The application windows are as follows:
- Primary application window: July 15-September 15
- Secondary application window (pending availability of funds: January 1-February 15